Home bartending is a great opportunity to show off a bit to your partner, family and guests! If you want to be even better at making delicious drinks at home, come join us for a discussion of key knowledge, tips and tricks to making classic drinks at a high level of quality with the limitations of home setups and budgets.
What will we cover?
- Ingredients: Optimal handling of fresh and spirit ingredients, knowing when you can substitute and when you can’t. Purchasing tips
- Ice: Ways to make clean ice in different forms for purposes such as shaking and serving
- Recipes: where to find reliable recipes, how to navigate variations, how to handle odd measurements, how to read and analyse recipes to better understand how to balance
- Making drinks: Technique adjustments that result in better drinks, how to properly execute certain techniques such as floating, muddling, building, dry shaking
- Serving drinks: Choosing glassware appropriately. Garnishes. Your guest’s preferences
- Responsibility and safety at home: Looking after yourself and your guests during and after drinks
What will you need for this class?
- The ZOOM meeting platform on your computer, mobile or tablet device. See below for further details.
- Pen, paper or your preferred note taking device
If you have questions in advance of the class please reach out via the cocktail class Facebook group!
Who will be teaching?
Simon began adult life disliking alcohol in all forms after repeated unsuccessful attempts to be friends with beer, rum/coke and tequila sunrises. But a chance encounter with a vodka, lime and soda was his gateway drink into a classic daiquiri at the famed cocktail bar Der Raum. Since then Simon become an avid barfly visiting cocktail bars around the world in Europe, America, Asia, NZ and Australia as well as being good friends with gin, rum, whiskey and wheat beers. More recently Simon has been creating at-home cocktail experiences and teaching friends to make tasty drinks all around the world whether it’s a Melbourne balcony, a villa in Tuscany, an apartment in Paris or on a sailing boat in San Francisco Bay.
Using a gift voucher or class credit?
Please email our team with your voucher or details. Please note we need up to 2 business days to process your request.
Before you book
Please ensure you enter your email address accurately – this is where we will send your ticket, access links and other important information about the class.
Please read our terms and conditions. By purchasing a ticket or attending a class you agree to these terms and conditions.
All our classes are live only (not recorded).
If you can’t afford our classes but would still love to come, we would still love for you to come too! We are a not-for-profit community organisation and having you at our classes is what matters. We have introduced three different prices: our regular $14 that covers all costs, $9 sponsored tickets for those struggling and $18 ‘pay it forward’ tickets. If you can afford it please select the full price or pay it forward so we can continue sponsoring others who can’t.
This class is delivered online via ZOOM:
- ZOOM is free to install on your Windows or Mac computer and also available as an app for your mobile/tablet device.
- You will need either the meeting link or both the meeting ID plus password. You don’t need to create an account to attend a meeting!
- If you are new to ZOOM please ensure you have downloaded and installed it in advance of the class.
- Here is a link to the ZOOM support site for a 1 minute tutorial on how to join a meeting.
- You can optionally join from a device with a camera and microphone.