If you want to learn how to sew using your sewing machine, then this class is for you!
You will be shown the basic techniques of sewing with a sewing machine.
Learn to thread it, how to change the settings and what those buttons mean. Every sewing machine is a little bit different, so we will go through the standard basics.
No sewing experience is required! Just the aspiration to learn a new skill and the desire to get to know your sewing machine. (but if you’ve had a little experience you’re also very welcome)
Together we will also learn to create a handy fold up tote bag from scratch – with your sewing machine!
And please don’t expect perfection from the beginning. Remember that learning to sew takes time and practice and it’s ok if you make mistakes.
What will we cover?
- Learn how to use your sewing machine from scratch
- Start with to get to know your sewing machine
- The basic controls
- Some of the accessories that usually come with your machine
- A chance to ask any questions you have about your sewing machine
- The basics of sewing
- Starting with how to thread your machine
- How to fill and load your bobbin
- Trying and practicing your stitches
- Your first sewing project will be to create a handy tote bag to keep in your bag
Tamara’s recommended pre-class activity: It is a great idea to check out your user manual before the class and note any questions you have. So, grab your manual, sit down with the machine and take a look.
What will you need?
- Your sewing machine and its user manual
- Fabric pieces
- Piece of scrap fabric for practice – about 20 x 30cm or so
- The bag – cut 2 pieces 40cm wide by 25cm long
- The strap – cut 1 piece 60cm by 10cm
- Ribbon – 35cm
- 1 Button
- Personal sewing kit (scissors, pins and needles)
Who will be teaching?
Tamara (she/her) is a Textile Artist specialising in free machine embroidery, hand stitching and mending based in Melbourne. She has been making her clothes and mending since a teenager.
Loving to personalise her wardrobe with visible mending and embellishment. Tamara enjoys teaching various forms of mending and embroidery. She also happily accepts commissions to mend your old favourites. Visit her website or follow her on Instagram.
Any other questions or ways we can assist with accessibility? Just shoot delsi (she/her) an email at email@example.com.