What’s it all about?
Join wildlife artist Marloes and learn to paint birds with watercolours. Marloes will guide you through the steps and methods for applying and manipulating these mediums, as well as tricks and tips to get awesomely realistic (and sometimes not so realistic) effects. Join us for a fun session that’s a great way to start your journey into watercolour as a medium.
What will we cover?
This hands-on session will include:
- An introduction to the various watercolour mediums
- Appropriate papers and brushes
- An overview of each medium’s properties
- Application methods including wet-on-wet and wet-on-dry
- Various techniques for creating depth, light and dimension
- Touching on layering, glazes and colour correction
What will you need?
- A reference picture at the size you wish to paint. We recommend 3 copies (A B&W copy for tonal values and 2 colour copies).
- Watercolour paper
- Watercolour pencils and/or paints
- Pencils and pencil sharpener
- Clean brushes
- Water for washing brushes.
Who will be teaching?
Marloes Bakker-Marsden is a self-taught artist who has been exploring the world of art since childhood. Her current art practice is mostly focused on drawing and painting wildlife and rocks. She teaches a variety of mediums at community centres, retirement communities and other locations, including in her own studio space. She enjoys sharing her skills and passions with others in a light-hearted and fun way that makes the experience totally enjoyable and rewarding for everyone involved. You can find her on Instagram or her website.