Laneway Learning is a not-for-profit community-based organisation, founded and run by people who love learning. We think that learning is something in which anyone can be involved, no matter their age, background or other circumstances. Learning shouldn’t be boring: it should be fun, interesting, and broad!
Volunteer Class Hosts provide crucial support to Laneway, making sure classes are welcoming and well-run. Some Class Hosts go on to become Laneway teachers and some Laneway teachers choose to be Class Hosts to observe and learn from other Laneway teachers.
The Class Host is responsible for the overall participant experience of classes. As a Class Host you will:
- facilitate the highest quality experience for class attendees
- support teachers to deliver the best version of their classes
- assist with class set-up and pack up
- provide feedback both personally and from attendees to help improvement over time
- take photos to promote classes and Laneway Learning through social media
- support the strategic goals of Laneway Learning through contributions to class quality, and support for further expansion.
What we’re looking for
We’re looking for friendly people who have great customer service skills and are enthusiastic about learning. If you’ve been to our classes before, that is a plus! Other attributes we’re looking for include:
- reliability and a mature work ethic
- customer service experience
- effective communication skills
- good time management skills
- flexibility and patience
- ability to work as a member of a team
What’s in it for Class Hosts?
- Training and support
Class Hosts receive training and are also given the opportunity to shadow an experienced Host for their first few shifts. In future we’re looking at running classes especially for Class Hosts in areas such as public speaking and photography to help our Class Hosts shine.
- Class attendance
When they’re not busy with hosting tasks, Class Hosts are free to participate in the class. Participation is free of charge (although a materials fee may be charged). Many Class Hosts tell us that the chance to attend so many interesting classes is the thing they love most about the role.
- A pathway to teaching
Laneway Learning is always looking for new teachers with skills and interests to share. Class Hosts have the opportunity to observe, work with and learn from current teachers. This is an excellent opportunity for Class Hosts interested in teaching to develop their own class concepts and observe successful teaching skills, and to gain practice speaking in front of a group.
- Professional references
Laneway Learning is always happy to provide professional references for Class Hosts outlining the duties they undertake and skills they develop through the role.
How to apply
If you feel you’re suited to being a Class Host, apply through our online form below, explaining how you demonstrate the qualities listed above and why you would like to be involved. A Laneway Learning manager will get back to you soon.