One of the most popular games in the history of the world. Chess is a rich and rewarding game that will challenge you mentally while testing your competitive spirit.
This class is for complete beginners – no experience necessary!
The class can also serve as a valuable refresher for those who’ve already mastered the fundamentals; or a comprehensive overview for players who want to (affectionately) crush friends and family.
What we will cover?
We will start with a quick introduction to the pieces and their values, and then the class will be structured just like a chess game.
- Opening: The three golden rules (and how to punish those who don’t follow them). Opening traps and quick kills.
- Middlegame: Tactical motifs, and how to exploit them. Forks, pins, skewers and other useful pointed battle implements.
- Endgame: How to close the deal – basic mating patterns and the importance of pawns.
Come with any questions and a playful attitude. We will provide boards, playing pieces and answers!
- Wheelchair Accessible Venue
- Quiet Spaces
- Discounted Early Bird Tickets
- Free Tickets for First Nation Attendees
- Auslan Interpreted Upon Request
Who will be teaching?
Rafael (he/him) is a certified chess coach and founder of SmartyChess.com.
He has taught in schools, clubs and online and has experience with students from the age of 6 to 80.
Current president of Frankston Chess Club, he is always looking for ways to improve and help others do the same.
Any other questions or ways we can assist with accessibility? Just shoot an email to delsi (she/her) at firstname.lastname@example.org.