Chances are you’ve heard of the 4 Cs when it comes to assessing these little carbon jewels (cut, color, clarity, and carat).
But have you heard of the 3 Cs (class, cocktail and chat)?
That’s what Friday nights are about at Laneway Learning during lockdown!
This time around, we’re switching away from the ingredient focused angle of the last few classes and instead sharing some special drinks because 3 years ago a boy met a girl, made her 3 cocktails and now they’re married!
Join us to learn those specific cocktails, have a sip together and hear the cocktail stories – and a little bit of ours too.
We’ll jetset around the world and be served by bartenders who created these drinks at bars in Hamburg (Germany), London (UK) and Auckland (NZ). Along the way there’ll be some layovers in the United States and Italy.
What will we cover?
In this class we will:
- Make 3 delicious surprise cocktail recipes
- Cocktail tools, tips and anecdotes
- Ask all our cocktail questions
What will we need?
- Something to shake with: eg. 3 piece shaker, Boston style glass + shaker tin, tightly sealed jar or wide-mouthed drink bottle.
- Appropriate strainers for your shaker: hawthorne strainer (for any 2 piece shaker), fine strainer (recommended for all drinks)
- Something to measure with: eg. A cocktail jigger, shot glass measure, cough medicine measure, measuring spoons.
- A variety of glassware. Drinks are optimally best presented in a stemmed coupe/martini glass approx 150-170ml, collins/tall glass 300-350ml or rocks glass 300-400ml. But whatever you have will work!
- Knife and chopping board.
- Something to juice citrus with.
- Something to stir with: bar spoon or chopstick.
- A tray or tea towel to catch spills.
- – Lots of fresh ice
- Drink 1: Dry gin, fresh lemon juice, sugar, fresh Italian basil (served on the rocks)
- Drink 2: Dry gin, fresh lemon juice, fine cut orange marmalade, orange liqueur eg. ideally Cointreau or a high quality triple sec or orange curaçao (served up)
- Drink 3: Amaro Montenegro, fresh lemon juice, sugar, egg white or aquafaba, chilled soda water (served in a medium sized water or latté glass)
- Closed Captions
- Early Bird Cheap Tix
- Free Tix for First Nation Attendees
- Auslan Interpreter Upon Request
Who will be teaching?
Simon (he/him) began adult life disliking alcohol in all forms after repeated unsuccessful attempts to be friends with beer, rum/coke and tequila sunrises. But a chance encounter with a vodka, lime and soda was his gateway drink into a classic daiquiri at the famed cocktail bar Der Raum.
Since then Simon become an avid barfly visiting cocktail bars around the world in Europe, America, Asia, NZ and Australia as well as being good friends with gin, rum, whiskey and wheat beers. More recently Simon has been creating at-home cocktail experiences and teaching friends to make tasty drinks all around the world whether it’s a Melbourne balcony, a villa in Tuscany, an apartment in Paris or on a sailing boat in San Francisco Bay.
Any other accessibility requests or questions? Just email delsi (she/her) at firstname.lastname@example.org.