Strumming is fun but fingerpicking is way more interesting!
If you’ve picked up the humble ukelele before, you’ll likely be familiar with and comfortable at strumming. Many people sing and accompany themselves on the ukelele simply by strumming along. But did you know there are more options?
Brand new players and established strummers are all welcome.
What will we cover?
We will start by tuning your ukulele and how to make basic chord shapes.
Then we’ll learn chord picking patterns and playing one string at a time.
What will you need for this class?
- The ZOOM meeting platform on your computer, mobile or tablet device. See below for further details.
- Pen and paper or your preferred note taking device
- A ukulele!
- Either an electronic tuner or a smart phone with a tuning app (I recommend the Kala Ukulele App. It’s free and useful)
Who will be teaching?
Steph Payne is a level three certified James Hill Ukulele Initiative Teacher and she is a mentor in the ukulele teaching program. Steph teaches ukulele classes online and in-person ensembles – the Wyndukes Ukestra, the Daisy Chains instrumental ukulele quartet. Steph directs three choirs and is one third of Paisley & Plaid folk trio.
Before you book
Please ensure you enter your email address accurately – this is where we will send your ticket, access links and other important information about the class.
Please read our terms and conditions. By purchasing a ticket or attending a class you agree to these terms and conditions.
All our classes are live only (not recorded).
If you can’t afford our classes but would still love to come, we would still love for you to come too! We are a not-for-profit community organisation and having you at our classes is what matters. We have introduced three different prices for our regular evening classes: $14 that covers all costs, $9 sponsored tickets for those struggling and $18 ‘pay it forward’ tickets. If you can afford it please select the full price or pay it forward so we can continue sponsoring others who can’t.
This class is delivered online via ZOOM:
- ZOOM is free to install on your Windows or Mac computer and also available as an app for your mobile/tablet device.
- You will need either the meeting link or both the meeting ID plus password. You don’t need to create an account to attend a meeting!
- If you are new to ZOOM please ensure you have downloaded and installed it in advance of the class.
- Here is a link to the ZOOM support site for a 1 minute tutorial on how to join a meeting.
- You can optionally join from a device with a camera and microphone.