What’s it all about?
Bee a pollinator! Join bee guru Katrina to learn about our fascinating native bees and how to promote biodiversity in your own backyard. Discover how to spot a native bee, understand their important role in pollinating your garden veggies and learn how to create the ultimate native bee paradise in your garden for these intriguing little pollinators.
What will we cover?
In this class we will cover:
- An introduction to native bees
- Your backyard and its role in supporting local biodiversity
- What all bees do and why we should care
- Evolution of bees and native plants
- How to identify a bee (vs a fly)
- Life cycle of a native bee
- Buzz pollination
- Foraging trips with bee goggles on
- Top bee-friendly plants
- Safe bee-friendly gardening tips
- How to be a citizen scientist and provide habitat and reliable food source in your garden for our native pollinators
- Further resources and handout
What will you need?
- A notepad and pen or your preferred note taking device.
Who will be teaching?
Katrina is a passionate home gardener and founder of Buzz and Dig.
She has created a native bee friendly garden full of fruit trees, vegetables, perennial and native flowers. Her garden has been featured in Open Gardens Victoria, Grassroots Magazine, Sharewaste and filmed with Costa Georgiadis for a biosecurity segment.