Delve into the intriguing world of Australian Native Plants and Bushfoods. Indigenous Australians have been using these plants for thousands of years & incorporating them into their everyday diet.
If you have ever wanted to learn about Bushfoods, including identifying and cooking with local Native Plants, then this is the class for you! As well as plants from our local area, we’ll also look at Native Plants & Food sources from further afield in Australia, from the more Tropical areas to the spices and food sources inland.
A cooking demonstration will also be included in the class with a take home recipe provided.
What will we cover?
In this fun, hands on workshop you will learn:
- How to Identify Indigenous Plants
- Nutritional benefits
- How to harvest them sustainably
- Where they can be sourced in the Melbourne & regional areas
- How to grow and maintain them at home
- How to use these recipes in everyday cooking
Handouts & recipes will be provided to all participants.
What will I need to bring
- Bring a notepad & pen if you wish to take notes and
- Feel free to ask any questions!
- Wheelchair Accessible Venue
- Quiet Spaces
- Discounted Early Bird Tickets
- Free Tickets for First Nation Attendees
- Auslan Interpreted Upon Request
Who will be teaching?
Kylie (she/her) is a Darug and Wiradjuri First Nations Person residing on the Mornington Peninsula who is an Indigenous Plant Educator and Certified Nature Based Therapist.
Growing up around the Bush and having a Grandmother who owned a restaurant for many years she learnt a lot about Native Plants and Bushfoods.
This combined with experience gained in the field whilst working for National Parks and the Department of Soil Conservation, she enjoys passing on knowledge learnt and sharing her Culture.
You can follow her Journey and find out more about services offered via her website www.yourgreenprescription.com.au or via Facebook or Instagram.
Photo by Laneway Learning of Kylie’s Bush Foods class.
Any other questions or ways we can assist with accessibility? Just email Maddy (she/her) at email@example.com.