What’s it all about?
Ever wanted to make your own Kombucha at home but have a bunch of questions or don’t know where to start? This tasty theory session is for you! From brewing to bottling and everything in between, we’ve got you covered in this fun class.
What will we cover?
Come and learn about the age old art of fermenting your own Kombucha. From the history and benefits of this sweet tea, to the best techniques to yield you a wonderfully fizzy batch, we will go through it all. Leave feeling confident and informed and ready to begin brewing your own at home. Tastings will be offered too so come along feeling adventurous.
What will you need?
Materials you’ll need to have on hand: (we are making 2 litres of Black tea Kombucha on the day but feel free to get additional materials to last you!)
- Black ceylon tea, preferably organic (English b’fast is a good option) you can either use lose leaf or tea bags
- 4 X tea bags
- OR 4 ts lose leaf
- ½ cup raw, white or cane sugar, preferably organic
- 2 litres of filtered water (if you don’t have a filter jug or tap, either leave a bowl of tap water out overnight or pre boil and cool it)
- 2-4 litre wide mouthed glass jar or drink dispenser (if you plan to make bigger than 2 litre batches in future I recommend getting a drink dispenser)
- Cotton cloth or tea towel to cover the top of the jar and a rubber band or kitchen string to secure it
- Tea pot or coffee plunger to make a strong pot of tea. Alternatively we can boil a pot of water on the stove but you’ll need to let it cool completely.
- Coffee plunger is a great option if you have one and you’re planning to use lose leaf tea. If using tea bags a tea pot or stove top pot is fine
- Your SCOBY and starter liquid. (if you need to buy one check out this link – SCOBY you will find a discount code in our confirmation email when you register for the class)
Link’s below a couple of examples of drink dispensers that are worth looking at so you get an idea of what to get, you can absolutely go to Kmart, Target etc. and get one there too!
https://www.kmart.com.au/product/5.6-litre-glass-jar/2859400 – you could start with something like this, but a tap on a drink dispenser is a game changer and totally worth it in my opinion!
Can’t wait to brew with you!
Who will be teaching it?
Briony Kean is a Gut Health Coach who practices a holistic approach to health and wellness, which means that she looks at how Bio_BKall areas of your life are connected. Fundamentally we’re all individuals, and that’s the approach she takes. From coaching individuals, to teaching cooking and fermentation classes, she has the privilege of helping people from all stages and ages. Briony’s business is about taking the confusion and anxiety out of eating and cooking and making it FUN! You can connect with her on Facebook and Instagram.