What better way to learn how to prepare and enjoy Middle Eastern cuisine than from someone who was born and bred into it!
From Natalie’s kitchen to yours, come and learn how to prepare a classic main dish from the Middle Eastern – Hashweh, a spiced rice & mince dish and a yoghurt, cucumber and mint salad to accompany.
Hashweh means stuffing in Arabic. Traditionally used as a stuffing for meat and poultry. This is a tasty and comforting dish which has become a meal in its own and a staple, easy to prepare in Middle Eastern kitchens.
Hashewh includes spices, rice, tender meat and crispy nuts as a complement. We will also enjoy it with a zesty cucumber, mint and yoghurt salad.
Join in and learn an easy, affordable and delightful way to present and prepare Middle East cuisine from the talented Natalie.
What will we cover?
In this class we will:
- Hear some stories from Natalie’s Middle Eastern home and kitchen
- Follow along to a cooking demonstration of Hashweh (spiced rice and mince dish) and a salad.
- Or you can just watch and learn
- Learn about Middle East spices and their uses.
- Note: this class uses meat, dairy and nuts. Natalie can advise on substitutions, but these substitution will not be prepared in class.
What will you need?
If you would like to cook along, please check the ingredients list in your Virtual Events Hub with your ticket.
- Closed Captions
- Early Bird Cheap Tix
- Free Tix for First Nation Attendees
- Auslan Interpreter Upon Request
Who will be teaching?
Natalie (she/her) was born in the magical city of Jerusalem and immigrated to Melbourne as a teenager, bringing along and continuing her stories and love of Middle Eastern cuisine.
The difference between her and her parents (best cooks ever) is that Natalie will show you how to prepare and present Middle Eastern dishes in a simple, affordable and delightful way.
Photo by Jules from Flickr
Any other accessibility requests or questions? Just email Maddy (she/her) at email@example.com.