Ever wanted to get in on the glitz and glam? Join drag artist Belial B’Zarr (he/they/it) to explore the transformative nature of stage-wear. From sparkling sequins, to larger than life silhouettes and bold patterns; explore how to abstract your everyday inspirations into costume designs that capture the imagination. This conceptual workshop will focus on getting pen to paper and figuring out the “what” before your stitching even begins.
No prior sewing or drawing knowledge is required – just your creative brains, a willingness to learn, and a curiosity about the world around you.
This event will be half social chats with a bunch of like minded queer people and half fun, educational and interactive workshop.
All workshops are taught by queers, for queers.
What will we cover?
- A basic overview of drag history, culture and community – where’d we come from, and how’d we get to where we are today?
- An exploration of fashion concepts including line, shape, colour, silhouette, texture and more; and how this is relevant to stage wear.
- Activities, including drawing activities, discussions, brainstorming and more – let’s put those creative brains to the test!
- Wheelchair Accessible Venue
- Gender Neutral Bathrooms
- Quiet Spaces
- Discounted Early Bird Tickets
- Free Tickets for First Nation Attendees
- Auslan Interpreted Upon Request
Who will be teaching?
Belial B’Zarr (he/they/it) is a psychedelic lizard wizard (probably from outer space) who loves all things fashion and can often be found sewing away behind a machine. Passionate about education, Belial explores arts practice through the lens of drag and often presents workshops pertaining to conceptual design, technical sewing skills, drag history/culture, makeup and more.
Outside of drag, they run their own size-inclusive, sustainable and vegan fashion brand Offworld Aesthetic which can be found online, in-stores at ALT CVLT and at various market pop-ups around Melbourne. Wanna know where to find them next? Take a peek here.
Any other questions or ways we can assist with accessibility? Just shoot us an email at email@example.com.