This is a double class on Wednesday June 7th – 6:15pm Pattern Making and then 7:45pm Pattern Sewing. Your ticket gives you admission to both parts of the class.
Have you ever wanted to make your own clothes but didn’t know where to start? This workshop on Basic Pattern Making and Sewing will allow you to begin your journey to making your own clothes!
In this double class come and learn the skills for making a pattern for a skirt using your own measurements. This class is perfect for total beginners who want to start learning flat pattern making!
Once you learn how to measure yourself you will then commence transferring the 3D into 2D and create a pattern that fits you and then learn to sew your own skirt with a sewing machine!
Your teacher Robyn Bunting has worked extensively in Costume making, fashion and design and will hand on her experience as you learn the art of making clothes.
Together we will whet your appetite for self sufficiency!
What will we cover?
During this hands-on workshop you will:
- Learn basic concepts of measuring and pattern making, including the concept of notations
- Learn the structures of fabric types
- Create your own pattern base using your own measurements
- Learn and use tools to make a basic pattern base
- Learn and apply the power of darts to give shape and volume to your skirt
- Your will then learn to transfer your pattern to fabric and learn to sew your skirt.
Materials and equipment provided, including black calico. No sewing or pattern-making experience required although if you have some it will help you. We will be using sewing machines.
- Wheelchair Accessible Venue
- Gender Neutral Bathrooms
- Early Bird Discounted Tickets
- Free Tickets to First Nation Attendees
- Auslan Interpreted Upon Request
Who will be teaching?
Robyn Bunting is the owner of ‘Harold and Maude‘ on level 2 of the Nicholas Building. She will start you on the path to creating heirlooms that combine reuse and repurpose with a history of community and skill. Completion of project, colour use and big picture coaching are all on offer – so come along and learn the basics.
Images: Creative Commons
Any other questions or ways we can assist with accessibility? Just email Maddy (she/her) at firstname.lastname@example.org