This class has different price options for those affected by the pandemic, click the register button above and see the different options
What’s it all about?
So, you thought travel had come to a halt. Hell no!
Grab your hat and come on this virtual tour of Cuba with a pair of locals and enjoy a true Cuban holiday experience (from the comfort of your home). After this virtual tour you will be ready to take on Cuba once all borders are back open.
What will we cover?
This session will cover:
- A brief overview of Cuba’s history
- How to travel to Cuba – which airlines travel there and when is the best time to visit
- Cash, credit card and currency issues to consider
- Where to stay and what to see and do
- Cuba’s music and dance varieties (try a little salsa)
- A brief history of Cuba’s rum industry
- How to prepare the perfect mojito!
As we travel through Cuba together you will be offered an insights into the country’s fascinating and turbulent history, enjoy a taste of salsa dancing, sip a mojito (optional: ingredients below) and enjoy a touch of rumba. You will also gain some tips on how to overcome the challenges of Cuba such as lack of infrastructure, transport, medical supplies and food (for future planning?).
Starting from Havana – you will:
- Explore the old and new parts of this colourful city – some parts crumble while others are wrapped in luxury.
- Walk along the famous Malecon where Cuban’s dance, play guitar and drink rum as they embrace the simple pleasures of life
- Take a Cadillac ride from Havana to the stunning beaches of Varadero – postcard perfect!
- Backtrack to Vinales by bus – where the red earth gives birth to deep green tobacco leaves
- Journey across the island to Santa Clara to visit the resting place of revolutionary Che Guevara
- We will stop in at Trinidad before heading to Cienfuegos, over to Camaguey and down to Santiagio de Cuba and finally Baracoa before heading back to Havana.
What will you need?
A thirst for travel and an open mind. Cuba is like nowhere else on earth!
If you want to make a mojito to sip along (optional):
- 45ml white rum
- 20mL sugar syrup
- Fresh mint leaves (plus extra to garnish)
- A fresh lime cut into wedges (plus extra limes wedges to garnish)
- Soda water, to top
- Crushed ice
Who will be teaching?
Join Harold (a Cubano who loves his island home) and his wife Meagan.
Harold speaks his native Spanish as well as English, French, Italian and German – so you’re in safe hands on this tour. His salsa is sensational and although he doesn’t drink – he mixes a perfect mojito.
Meagan is a freelance travel writer who both loves and hates Cuba (it’s complex) and is happy to share what she has learned from her many visits.