What’s it all about?
Do you fancy taking your cake decorating to the next level? Join Maria to learn how to use fondant (or sugar paste) to create decorations for your baked goods.
We will learn a little about fondant and how to create a cute unicorn cake topper piece by piece!
What will we cover?
- Fondant – what is it, where to buy it and cheap alternatives that work just as well
- Tips on how to mould, colour, paint and store fondant
- The step-by-step process for making a pretty little unicorn topper for your cake
- Inspirational websites and other online finds
What will you need?
- Fondant – the ready-to-roll icing type, available at supermarkets (ideally white fondant)
- Some gel food colouring for fondant (eg. Americolor or Wilton). If you can’t find gel food colouring, any food-safe colouring can work for this introductory class. Some supermarkets have gel colouring available these days.
- A knife
- A mat or baking paper as a working base
- Some toothpicks
Who will be teaching?
Maria Yebra is a self-taught passionate baker and cupcake maker, if there is such a title… She started baking as a hobby, doing cupcakes for friends’ parties and soon she had baked her way through all the cake recipe books in her library. Then she discovered that the fun part is decorating (and eating!) such bakes and set on to learn piping techniques, gum paste decorations, fondant and pretty much any other sugar based technique.
By the way, she loves cupcakes the most because the ratio of icing to cake is much better (way more buttercream!).