What’s it all about?
Do you dream of a fridge bursting with healthy groceries? A pantry overflowing with nutritious goodness? How can you make good choices when there are endless and confusing facts, numbers and details plastered on the average food package? Phewww, help is on the way.
This workshop will give you the tools to make informed decisions and healthier choices. We will decode all those pesky numbers and confusing tables through scientific geekiness and evidence-based research. And these awesome powers will be totally jargon-free. Yay!
What will we cover?
- Learn the 30-second ‘quick-scan’ method to make healthy decisions at the drop of a hat.
- Appreciate the useful information hidden in ingredient lists.
- Become adept at reading nutritional information panels (those tricky-looking tables found on food packages).
- Ponder the age-old ‘serving size’ anomaly.
- Understand sneaky tricks used by food marketers to tempt us to buy their products.
- Decode health and nutritional claims and understand how a sugary cereal can claim to be a “good source of fibre”.
- Learn how to ignore all the marketing propaganda, advertising and misinformation and make up our own minds.
Who will be teaching?
Sivan Kohn has been fascinated with science and health ever since she got her first home lab kit at age three! Basically, she is a science geek and clinical pharmacologist with more than 15 years experience in health and public health. After working in Switzerland, the UK, USA, Spain and Argentina, Sivan returned to Australia and opened up a small business in health promotion. Buzz Biomedical is all about using a scientific, biomedical approach to promote health through seminars, workshops and one-on-one health coaching.