What’s it all about?
Epicurus, the ancient Greek philosopher, said “plain fare gives as much pleasure as a costly diet”. But then Epicurus subscribed to the belief that if you didn’t expect too much you wouldn’t be disappointed. In this class we are going to make you the the toast of the Forum by taking Epicurus’ plain cheese and transforming it into something special and delicious by marinating it in herbs and spices.
What will we cover?
- Be guided through the process of making your own marinated cheese at home
- Be inspired with different delicious flavour combinations of herbs and spices
Samples of flavour combinations suggested to the class are :
- Chilli – chilli flakes, fresh chillies, pickled chillies, chilli oil
- Garlic – roasted garlic cloves, herbs
- Lemon – preserved lemon, lemon flavoured olive oil, coriander seed
- Fresh herbs – thyme, bay leaf, oregano, sage
- Moroccan – using Moroccan spices – ground cumin, coriander, garlic, chilli, turmeric
By the end of the class you will have made your own signature marinated cheese that your family and friends will bug you for!
What will you need?
- 200g of cheese such as feta, goats cheese or bocconcini-sized mozzarella
- 100ml of olive oil
- 50ml of vegetable oil (eg. canola, sunflower, etc.)
- Your choice of the flavour combinations
- A cutting board and knife
- Jars (with lids)
Who will be teaching?
Jennifer McInnes of Hells Breath Relish has been in the business of making relishes, pickles, jams and sauces for the past 15 years and is keen to encourage you to play with your food.