What’s it all about?
Van Gogh produced many magnificent landscape sketches in his lifetime. His work is full of expressive movement, using his stunningly simple mark-making techniques. Characterised by bold colours, dramatic, impulsive and expressive brushwork that was quite revolutionary.
Van Gogh was a Dutch post-impressionist painter and is amongst the most famous and influential figures in the history of Western art.
Learn about the artist and his approach to his art, and be guided through the steps as we go on to produce a Van Gogh inspired artwork of your very own.
What will we cover?
This beginners painting and drawing class will focus on:
- Composing a landscape watercolour
- Use Van Gogh’s approach to line and expressive mark.
- Developing a dramatic perspective
- Pencil and/or brush pencil techniques
What will you need?
- Bring along a simple landscape photo that inspires you, nothing too complex. (Even google one up in class).
- Watercolour paper (preferably 180 gsm and upwards)
- Pencils for sketching
- Watercolours, watercolour pencils
- Brushes, water pots
- Paper towel, rags
- Palette, white plate, white plastic plate.
Who will be teaching?
Nicole Kemp has been involved in teaching art and crafts for over 30 years. Nicole can be found teaching art to all ages – pre-schoolers, primary and secondary students and to adults at all stages of life. She loves the different challenges that the diverse age groups bring. She is passionate about providing a safe and friendly environment where people feel free enough to learn the basics of art and can move on to exploring and developing their own ideas.
Nicole loves exploring all areas of creativity from painting, drawing, printmaking and textiles. She is very inspired by the history of art, her travels, and the movement and colour of cities. She embeds her thoughts and feelings into all her work. Poking around suburban and city laneways provides much enjoyment, and inspiration always comes from graffiti.