Pickling is easy and delicious! And there are lots of ways you can get creative with your pickling.
Join Jennifer and learn how to tune into flavour to pickle to perfection!
There are lots of types of pickles – from pickled onions, ginger slices, turnip pieces and shredded carrots – that you will find in delicious ba minh rolls!
Pickles can also come in a paste, like Bramston and green tomato pickles.
In this class, you will learn all about the varieties of pickling approaches and how you can start pickling at home from your own kitchen.
Feel free to sit back and watch and learn or gather up some ingredients and join in on this cook along class!
What will we cover?
In this online cookalong class you will:
- Learn the basic principles of pickling
- Discover the huge array of vegetables, fruits, spices and herbs that can be used to make delicious pickles at home.
- Prepare a batch of pickled red cabbage
- Learn how to pickle cucumbers
- View a variety of pickled fruits and veggies
- Discover what pickling combinations work best
What will I need?
If you’d like to cook along at home, please have ready:
- 500g red cabbage, sliced
- 2 red onions, sliced
- 200ml red wine vinegar
- 100ml water
- 40-50g sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4-5 whole cloves
- 6 black peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- Cutting board and your best chef’s knife
- 2 lt saucepan
- Scales and measuring cup/jug, spoons
- 3 jars and lids – saved jam jars are perfect
- Closed Captions
- Early Bird Discounted Tickets
- Free Tickets for First Nation Attendees
- Auslan Interpreted Upon Request
Who will be teaching?
Jennifer (she/her) of Hells Breath Relish has been in the business of putting things into jars for the past 20 years and loves to mess around with food.
She is very keen to encourage others to also play with their food.
Any other questions or ways we can assist with accessibility? Just email delsi (she/her) at firstname.lastname@example.org.