The year 1919 was a big year in history – on the cusp of the ‘roaring twenties’, the Spanish Flu pandemic, recovery and rebuilding from the Great War (WW1), a great step forward for women’s voting rights and the moments before America’s experiment with prohibition just to name a few things that happened!
Not surprisingly many cocktails draw their origins and inspirations from the events and characters of the year 1919.
Despite 2020 being a century later, there are clear echoes of 1919 but this time with COVID-19, trade wars, contested elections and much more. Join us for an evening of history and cocktails!
What will we cover?
- Some of the fascinating historical events that occurred during 1919
- Persons born, died or alive in 1919 and some of the notable things they did
- Some inventions, art, music and companies founded or created in 1919
- A few spirits and drinks that trace their origin to 1919
- Associated cocktails for each person or event
- Recipes for all the drinks mentioned
What will you need for this class?
- The ZOOM meeting platform on your computer, mobile or tablet device. See below for further details.
- Pen, paper or your preferred note taking device
If you have questions in advance of the class please reach out via the cocktail class Facebook group!
Who will be teaching?
Simon began adult life disliking alcohol in all forms after repeated unsuccessful attempts to be friends with beer, rum/coke and tequila sunrises. But a chance encounter with a vodka, lime and soda was his gateway drink into a classic daiquiri at the famed cocktail bar Der Raum. Since then Simon become an avid barfly visiting cocktail bars around the world in Europe, America, Asia, NZ and Australia as well as being good friends with gin, rum, whiskey and wheat beers. More recently Simon has been creating at-home cocktail experiences and teaching friends to make tasty drinks all around the world whether it’s a Melbourne balcony, a villa in Tuscany, an apartment in Paris or on a sailing boat in San Francisco Bay.
Using a gift voucher or class credit?
Please email our team with your voucher or details. Please note we need up to 2 business days to process your request.
Before you book
Please ensure you enter your email address accurately – this is where we will send your ticket, access links and other important information about the class.
Please read our terms and conditions. By purchasing a ticket or attending a class you agree to these terms and conditions.
All our classes are live only (not recorded).
If you can’t afford our classes but would still love to come, we would still love for you to come too! We are a not-for-profit community organisation and having you at our classes is what matters. We have introduced three different prices: our regular $14 that covers all costs, $9 sponsored tickets for those struggling and $18 ‘pay it forward’ tickets. If you can afford it please select the full price or pay it forward so we can continue sponsoring others who can’t.
This class is delivered online via ZOOM:
- ZOOM is free to install on your Windows or Mac computer and also available as an app for your mobile/tablet device.
- You will need either the meeting link or both the meeting ID plus password. You don’t need to create an account to attend a meeting!
- If you are new to ZOOM please ensure you have downloaded and installed it in advance of the class.
- Here is a link to the ZOOM support site for a 1 minute tutorial on how to join a meeting.
- You can optionally join from a device with a camera and microphone.