What’s it all about?
Learn how to use watercolours and brushes to create beautiful brush calligraphy! Mix the colours and play with the unique quality of watercolour to create beautiful illustration with letters. Use this technique for cards, posters, or any illustration you can think of.
Emilie will share tips and techniques to use letters in composition, improve your brush skills and try different colour palettes.
What will we cover?
- What materials are good to use
- Fun warm up’s
- Letter composition and structure – and how to create these with a brush
- Exploring expressive font styles and uses
- Discussing expressive composition
What will you need?
- Paper – Ideally watercolour paper, but don’t worry if you don’t. Any thick paper will do.
- Watercolour (gouache or ink can work too)
- Brushes – a variety to tip shapes (square/tapered or calligraphy brush) etc
Who will be teaching?
Emilie is a Melbourne based artist and maker, currently finishing her PhD at the Victorian College of the Arts. She moved from France in 2014 and has been developing her art practice since, working with a range of media, from video to printmaking, 3D printing and a variety of paint mediums. Emilie is also a comic book artists. Her illustration has been published by the Lifted Brow, and she self-published her first graphic novel in 2018 with Tree Paper Comics in Melbourne.